Global Positioning System Special Interest Group
The Global Positioning System Special Interest Group (GPS SIG) is a special interest group of Sun City Grand Hiking Club (Grand Hikers). Membership requirements for the GPS SIG are included in the membership of the Grand Hiking Club. A Sun City Grand resident may attend three (3) GPS SIG meetings before they would be asked to join the Grand Hikers if not already a member in good standing. Further attendance of that individual without membership to the Grand Hikers will not be allowed.
Statement and Objectives
The GPS SIG's purpose is to review and share information concerning a GPS devices and related software to allow hikers to have a more enjoyable and safe experience.
GPS SIG Objectives
- To examine the various GPS devices available.
- To review and learn about the many features of GPS devices.
- To learn about sources of hike information on other internet sites.
- To learn how to use the GPS information for locating trails and points of interest.
- To learn how to mark waypoints and return to waypoints on trails.
- To learn how to integrate the statistics from a device into computer programs.
- To examine and learn about different maps and Mapping programs.
- Provide demonstrations and training on an attendee's devices.
- To learn about other safety devices that operate from the GPS system.
- To learn about other devices that can be used with the GPS.
The general operational theme of the SIG will be to have members share their knowledge of the operation of GPS devices, related computer programs, sources of GPS maps and hiking trail data, and general information related to GPS. The meetings will be run as roundtable discussions with themes for the discussion. Members with knowledge in the topics are encouraged to help lead the discussion. The meetings are scheduled for two hours ahead of the Hiking Club monthly meeting so that only one afternoon is occupied by hiking. The meeting will be broken into three 20+/- minute segments to focus the discussion and cover the outlined topics. We will try to have some free time for speakers and topics of immediate concern. Because many members will not be able to make all the meetings; the topics may not follow a progression of depth and will have some repetition. We will attempt to get outside speakers for different segments to provide information on a topic.
The GPS SIG is a special interest group of the Chartered Grand Hikers Club and operates in accordance with the requirements of the Sun City Grand Community Association Management (CAM).
Facilitator Job Description
The Grand Hiking Board of Directors appoints the GPS SIG Facilitator.
The facilitator's responsibilities are:
- Host GPS SIG meetings.
- Schedule the meeting topics at least one month prior to the next SIG meeting.
- Present information on SIG activities at the Grand Hikers general meetings including topic discussed at previous meeting and topic for the next meeting.
- Maintain a web-based archive of handouts and meeting information. The site will be updated monthly after each meeting and will reside on the Grand Hikers Club Web site at: www.scghikers.org.
- Provide to the Board of Directors:
- The number of SIG meeting attendees.
- Names of other GPS SIG Co-Facilitators or Assistants.
- Annual SIG budget request.
- Annual meeting room request, not to exceed one room request per month.
Co-Facilitator's job Description
- Co-Facilitator name(s), which assist in conducting the meetings and participate as such while substitute for the facilitator in his/her absence; may act as the facilitator's designee for other activities.
- Take attendance for members and guests at SIG meetings on sign-in sheet.
- Website assistance and may assist in updating the SIG's Website as needed.
- Assistant(s) as needed, who provides general assistance at each meeting including such things as handouts for attendees.